wattOS is a lightweight, energy-efficient operating system designed for use on older or less-powerful computers. It is based on the Ubuntu Linux distribution and uses the lightweight LXDE desktop environment.
wattOS was first released in 2008 based on Ubuntu and has since undergone several iterations with the latest version being wattOS R12 based on Debian 11 Bullseye, released in 2022. The primary focus of WattOS is to provide a fast, user-friendly experience while using a minimal amount of system resources. It also includes tools and settings to optimize energy consumption, making it an ideal choice for laptops and netbooks.
One of the notable features of WattOS is its use of the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment (LXDE), which is known for its small footprint and speed. This makes wattOS a great choice for machines with limited system resources, as it reduces the amount of processing power needed to run the operating system.
Current Version of wattOS as at this Article
The current version of wattOS stands at wattOS R12. It is based on the Debian 11 Bullseye – Stable release operating system and uses the lightweight LXDE desktop environment to provide a simple and streamlined user interface.
Some of the key features of wattOS R12 include:
- Fast boot times and low resource usage, making it ideal for use on older hardware
- A pre-configured set of applications that are designed to be lightweight and energy-efficient
- Easy customization options that allow users to tailor the system to their specific needs
- Built-in support for popular file formats, including PDF, MP3, and Flash.
In addition to its lightweight design, wattOS R12 also comes with a number of built-in energy-saving features. These include power management tools that allow users to monitor and adjust their power usage, as well as a number of pre-installed utilities that help users to reduce their energy consumption by optimizing their system settings.
Why you should give it a shot
- Based on Debian 11 Bullseye – Stable release LXDE 11 as a lightweight desktop Kernel 5.10 for 64bit PC installation
- Flatpak support out of the box
- Debian backports added to apt so you can add newer packages and firmware if needed
- Contrib and non-free added to apt to ease installation of other items if needed
- Calamares as the installer for a simple streamined install from a live session
- Inclusion of gdebi ease install of .deb packages
- Inclusion of gparted to ease disk partitioning and management
- Additional configuration to enhance the out of the box experience
- Minimal in nature so you can install and build as you like
- Bring your old PC back to life
Taking it for a Spin
wattOS R12 is a great choice for anyone who is looking for a lightweight, energy-efficient, and easy-to-use operating system that can run on older hardware. It is a great option for those who want to get the most out of their older computers without sacrificing performance or usability.
More Information ℹ