Device encryption helps protect your data by encrypting it. Only with the right encryption key (such as a password) can an encrypted device be decrypted.
Device encryption is not available in Windows 10 Home, it is however present in the higher grade of Windows 10.
- Login to Windows with an administrator account.
- Select the Start button, and then type manage BitLocker.
- Select Manage BitLocker from the list of results.
- Select Turn on BitLocker, and then follow the instructions.
- Choose how you want to unlock the device or drive.
- Select either to Use password or to Use smart card. If smart card, you would be required to insert the smart card. The smart card pin would be required when you want to unclock the drive. If you select to Use a password,
- Enter your encryption password.
At the end of the encryption, a recovery key would be generated for you. Remember to keep safe your recovery key for just in case you forget your unlock password.