Expedite is a feature in Windows 10 that allows for faster installation of quality updates. It is available through Microsoft Intune, which is a cloud-based service that provides mobile device management and PC management capabilities. The expedite feature enables devices to start the download and installation of an expedited update as soon as possible, without having to wait for the device to check in for updates.
The price of expedited updates is the same as regular updates, and the feature is not recommended for normal monthly quality update servicing. The cost of Microsoft Intune varies based on the specific plan and the number of licenses needed.
With the use of Microsoft Intune, you can expedite the installation of the most recent security updates for Windows 10 and Windows 11 on devices managed with Intune. This allows you to quickly deploy critical updates to mitigate security threats, even if your normal update process would not deploy the update for some time.Microsoft Intune Benefit
Expedited updates work by speeding up the installation of quality updates, such as the latest patch Tuesday release or an out-of-band security update for a zero-day vulnerability . It is important to note that not all updates can be expedited, and currently, only Windows 10 and Windows 11 security updates can be expedited using the Quality updates policy.
Here are some benefits it offers
Here are some key benefits of managing with Microsoft Intune.
Update Rings for Windows 10 and later:
- Intune allows you to create and assign update rings to groups of devices.
- Update rings are a collection of settings that determine when devices receive Windows updates.
- You can configure update rings to control when devices install updates, allowing you to stagger updates across different groups of devices.
- Update ring policies are supported for devices running Windows 10 version 1607 or later, as well as Windows 11.
Feature Updates for Windows 10 and later:
- Intune also provides a feature updates policy that allows you to update devices to a specific Windows version and freeze the feature set on those devices.
- This means that while the feature version remains static, devices can continue to install quality and security updates available for their feature version,
Windows Driver Updates for Windows 10 and later:
- Intune supports managing Windows driver updates for Windows 10 and later devices.
- You can use the built-in reports in Intune to understand which driver updates are applicable to your devices and track their installation status.
Reporting and Monitoring:
- Intune offers various reports to help you monitor and troubleshoot update deployments.
- These reports include Windows 10 update rings, Windows 10 feature updates, and Windows driver updates.
How you Expedite
To expedite Windows quality updates, you can use the Update Health Tools package, which enables you to expedite updates in Microsoft Intune. This package is available for download and provides the necessary tools to expedite Windows 10 and Windows 11 quality updates in Intune.
- Ensure you have the Health Tools package: To expedite Windows quality updates in Windows 10, you will need to download and install the Update Health Tools package. This package provides the tools required to expedite updates in Microsoft Intune.
- Download the Update Health Tools package: Visit the official Microsoft website or the Microsoft Download Center to download the Update Health Tools package. Make sure to download the version that is compatible with your Windows 10 or 11 installation.
- Install the Update Health Tools package: Once the package is downloaded, run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to install the Update Health Tools on your Windows 10 device.
- Configure the Quality updates policy: After installing the Update Health Tools, open the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center or the Intune portal. Navigate to the policies section and create or edit a policy that manages Windows 10 quality updates.
- Enable the Expedite option: Within the Quality updates policy, locate the option to expedite updates. Enable this option to allow for the expedited installation of Windows quality updates.
- Save and apply the policy: Once you have configured the Quality updates policy and enabled the Expedite option, save the policy settings. Apply the policy to the devices you want to expedite updates for.
- Monitor and verify: After applying the policy, monitor the devices to ensure that the expedited updates are being installed successfully. You can use the Update Health Tools package to track the progress and status of the updates.
Please note that the availability and functionality of expedited updates may vary depending on the Windows 10 or 11 version and the specific update being expedited. It is recommended to refer to official Microsoft documentation and resources for detailed instructions and best practices on how to use and deploy expedited updates
More Information ℹ