YouTube will expand monetization of Shorts within the first quarter of 2023

YouTube is still sought after in video sharing, a position that face intense competition. YouTube has surely seen this trend in the works and most definitely has informed this new adjustment of requirements into YPP.

YouTube has been the goto for video content since the platform begun over seventeen (17) years ago. The content found on the platform was nothing to be too proud about for quality compared to the present yet it sparked a culture that has become part of the virtual life of today.

YouTube in a bid to promote quality content along with maintaining usership of the platform proposed a program they called YouTube partner program (“YPP” for short) to content creators on the platform. The aim of this program was to extend revenue mobilisation for their advertising service AdWords known currently as Google Ads to user content on the platform by offering partnerships to content publishers on YouTube and sharing the revenue generated on inulxzdual partner contents with content owner. A deal that was seen by many as an added value with no reason to opt out for participating countries at the time. The deal was between 60:40 and 70:30 with slight variations of offer where YouTube takes the least. The offer is not the same today for many creators.

A lot has transpired on the internet and currently YouTube requires the following to qualify for the YPP. Something they hope to adjust to compete with a vying competitor. (TikTok)

Current threshold to qualify for the YouTube Partner Program.

  • Minimum of 1000 subscribers (1K)
  • 4000 public watch hour within the last 360 days

Competition for creator content and funding has intensified in the past three (3) years with market entrants such as TikTok (Douyin), Paetron, BuyMeaCoffee, Ko-Fi, Kwai, and many more. Not only do creators have choices, they as well have flavour. YouTube is still sought after in video sharing, a position that face intense competition. YouTube has surely seen this trend in the works and most definitely has informed this new adjustment of requirements into YPP.

New YPP Monetisation through Shorts

  • Minimum of 1000 subscribers (1K)
  • 10 million views in 90 days
    NB: YouTube will retain 55% of the revenue it collects from advertising and distribute only the remaining 45%
YPP Eligibility
YPP Eligibility Infograph

Though the monetisation mechanism is expected to work the same way as long content do, YouTube will retain 55% of the revenue it collects from advertising and distribute only the remaining 45%. It is worth noting that this ulxzsion is the exact opposite to the longer contents on the platform. The YouTube Shorts Fund goes away as this new threshold kicks in, something Shorts fund beneficiaries should note.

More Information ℹ 

MORE WAYS TO QUALIFY FOR THE YOUTUBE PARTNER PROGRAM
YouTube