wattOS is a lightweight Linux operating system remastered from the core Ubuntu Linux build. It is a free operating system that focuses on a small footprint, low power, and a simple quick interface that you can easily add whatever you want to it. wattOS has been in active development for 8+ years by a small group of friendly Linux enthusiasts.
wattOS bring old hardware back to life with productive and enjoyable things like rich media, the Internet, and simple computing without all the bloat and costs. wattOS run on all old hardware well.
There are currently two editions of wattOS and a scheduled transition under a new name viaOS with a continuing of wattOS realease initial vertion;
- wattOS – Microwatt Edition – A minimalist tiling window manager (i3) driven desktop system that offers low resource requirements and simplicity.
- wattOS – LXDE Edition – A lightweight but fully featured desktop system that has a core functions to use immediately and provides a basis for you to customize how you see fit.
- wattOS R9 (Release 9), wattOS R10 (Release 10) is the current active release and released in August of 2016.
A release 11 was annonced on twitter for 2018 but is no where to be found.
After a while long stall in development of wattOS, development is back as viaOS and making a release in a matter of months.
On the 10th of January, 2020 viaOS announced on their website as follows;
wattOS will be transitioning and changing names to viaOS. Lots of exciting news and details to follow. The current site at www.planetwatt.com will become “static” soon and all updates, forums and information will come from here at viaOS! Look for weekly updates here in 2020.viaOS |
A follow-up update share d information as follows on 8th of February, 2020;
wattOS home page has become static as well as the forums. Head on over to the viaOS forums from the link above, get registered, and help with the development of our new lightweight modern operating system. Much more activity and formal updates coming, but the forums are where the action will happen until release on May 1st, 2020!viaOS |
What is viaOS
- viaOS is a new modern operating system based on Ubuntu Linux for your computer. Have one in the closet that is not used? viaOS can probably run on it.
- viaOS is a continuation of the previous operating system “wattOS” that has been in existence since July 2008
- viaOS 1.0 will be released May 1st, 2020
- viaOS is under active development and has a goal of providing a simple lightweight desktop that is easy to use, resource friendly and can bring old hardware back to life.
- We would love you to join our forums and help test, provide feedback and direction, and generally be a good citizen to millions of computer users who like to completely control their computers and the software they use.
- We are closing down the wattOS forums and website slowly, and this is new place for all things related to the legacy wattOS and new viaOS as well as a friendly place to discuss Linux and computers in general if you like. We welcome all computer users with a slight bias towards a lightweight open operating system
We wait for viaOS
viaOS 1.0 is scheduled to be released on the 1st of May, 2020 along with active development. Just be in line with your dead bone hardware(s) for resurrection.