Android N

Android “Nougat” (codenamed Android N during development) is the seventh major version and 14th original version of the Android operating system. First released as an alpha test version on March 9, 2016, it was officially released on August 22, 2016, with Nexus devices being the first to receive the update. The LG V20 was the first smartphone released with Nougat. Nougat introduces notable changes to the operating system and its development platform, including the ability to display multiple apps on-screen at once in a split-screen view, support for inline replies to notifications, and an expanded “Doze” power-saving mode that restricts device functionality once the screen has been off for a period of time. Additionally, the platform switched to an OpenJDK-based Java environment and received support for the Vulkan graphics rendering API, and “seamless” system updates on supported devices. Nougat received positive reviews. The new app notification format received particular praise, while the multitasking interface was seen as a positive change, but reviewers experienced incompatible apps. Critics had mixed experiences with the Doze power-saving mode, but faster app installs and “tweaks” to the user interface were also reviewed positively. As of September 2019, 6.78% of Android devices use Android 7.1 (API 25), but 9.18% use the unsupported Android 7.0 (API 24) for a total of 15.96% of Android users. Latest release: 7.1.2 (N2G48H)[2] / August 5, 2019; 2 months ago Support status: 7.0, unsupported. 7.1, supported