Palemoon browser is a web browser based on Mozilla Firefox. It is available for Linux OS and the Windows OS platforms and distributed by M.C. Straver.
Releasing the highly optimized browser to the public from Oct 4th, 2009 Pale Moon has built on Firefox with optimization for efficiency of code and aimed at current and modern microprocessors. Pale Moon is available free of charge as open source code archive and freeware binary releases.
Because it is based on Firefox, most of the available Firefox extensions and plugins are compatible with Pale Moon. The Pale Moon browser is very efficient on the following tested hardware. Click here to view the list.
Main features of the Pale Moon browser:
- Optimized for modern processors
- Safe: forked from Firefox and regularly updated.
- Supported by a friendly, active community of users
- Familiar, efficient, fully customizable interface (no Australis!)
- Smooth and speedy page drawing and script processing
- Increased stability: experience fewer browser crashes
- Support for many Firefox extensions (add-ons) and themes
- Pale Moon exclusive extensions and themes
- Extensive support for HTML5, CSS3 and WebGL
- Many customization and configuration options
- Able to import existing Firefox profiles with the migration tool.
Several people have asked why Pale Moon has not followed the Firefox GUI (Graphical User Interface) layout. These layout changes were not done lightly, or without thought. The fact that the end result looks more conservative is not necessarily because Pale Moon is adverse to change, far from it. Rather, the layout is the result of working with the existing elements and attempting to keep things logical, efficient and intuitive.M.C. Straver
It is also because the design choices in Firefox were considered regression rather than progression, and there being very little that is truly “innovative” about the layout (as that implies good reason for, and a clear and unmistakable advantage of, the new state of things).
The download comes in English US language, for other languages you can install the Pale Moon language pack